Family mourns passing of man who died from H1N1
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Harris County family having a tough holiday after their loved one passed away from the flu. Now they hope no other family has to go through the same pain.
The family of Jose Vasques Trigueros remembers him as a caring father and grandfather.
"He'll come visit his grandchildren and bring them candy and just be very lovable. He was a very good person," his daughter-in-law Himelda Salinas said.
The 50-year-old plumber started feeling ill early last week while on a job with his two sons.
"He said that he was kind of feeling bad," Salinas said.
While they encouraged him to go to the doctor, he said he'd just go rest at his east side home and take some medicine. When his son knocked on the door Thursday morning, no one answered.
"When they called us Friday, we were all shocked; we didn't expect it would be the H1N1 flu," Salinas said.
After the death of this beloved father and grandfather, his loved ones have all gone to get flu shots. And they hope by sharing his story, it might save others.
"Don't wait for the last minute. If you feel sick, they're saying go to the doctor and go check out," Salinas said.
Health officials say two other people have been diagnosed with the H1N1 flu. They're both in the hospital.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
healthcheck, christine dobbyn
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play 27 min ago
- North Loop WB at Highway 290 shut down due to lost load 2 min ago
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine