Weight loss procedure for those not considered obese
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- With so many different weight loss procedures out there it's hard to choose the right one. Many may not even weigh enough to qualify for one of these procedures.
Christina Cantu is one of those people. She has always hated her weight, but says she isn't overweight enough to qualify for weight loss surgery like Gastric Bypass, until now. It's called the Gastric Tube and unlike other procedures there are no incisions and no scars on the belly.
UT Health's Doctor Erik Wilson has been testing the procedure in Panama and has now brought it to the states. He says they get to the stomach by going through the mouth and sew the stomach into a tube with a sewing machine.
With this procedure Dr. Wilson can reduce the stomach from the size of a football to a tube the size of a quarter by folding it over on itself. So far the results have proven to be significant, patients have lost anywhere between 30 and 50 pounds.
Cantu has lost 24 pounds in just 6 weeks and hopes to lose another 15 to 20 in the next few weeks. She says the hardest part was getting use to eating smaller portions several times a day.
The study is complete and folks can start getting the procedure in the next few months.
Dr. Wilson is conducting a 'PROMISE' study at Health Memorial Hermann. He says he will offer the surgery soon. If you are interested in learning more about the procedure you can call 713-892-5500 or CLICK HERE.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
healthcheck, christi myers
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town 2 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged 54 min ago
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Nice weather for Easter!