Weight loss procedure for those not considered obese
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- With so many different weight loss procedures out there it's hard to choose the right one. Many may not even weigh enough to qualify for one of these procedures.
Christina Cantu is one of those people. She has always hated her weight, but says she isn't overweight enough to qualify for weight loss surgery like Gastric Bypass, until now. It's called the Gastric Tube and unlike other procedures there are no incisions and no scars on the belly.
UT Health's Doctor Erik Wilson has been testing the procedure in Panama and has now brought it to the states. He says they get to the stomach by going through the mouth and sew the stomach into a tube with a sewing machine.
With this procedure Dr. Wilson can reduce the stomach from the size of a football to a tube the size of a quarter by folding it over on itself. So far the results have proven to be significant, patients have lost anywhere between 30 and 50 pounds.
Cantu has lost 24 pounds in just 6 weeks and hopes to lose another 15 to 20 in the next few weeks. She says the hardest part was getting use to eating smaller portions several times a day.
The study is complete and folks can start getting the procedure in the next few months.
Dr. Wilson is conducting a 'PROMISE' study at Health Memorial Hermann. He says he will offer the surgery soon. If you are interested in learning more about the procedure you can call 713-892-5500 or CLICK HERE.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
healthcheck, christi myers
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 39 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names 1 min ago
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner 15 min ago
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- David Tillman's weather forecast
23 min ago