ABC News GOP poll puts Perry in 4th place
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's your voice, your vote, and with just under a month until the Iowa caucus, another poll places GOP candidate Newt Gingrich as the clear front-runner in the race for the Republican presidential nomination. But Gov. Rick Perry isn't giving up.
Perry was actually here in Houston Tuesday afternoon. He had lunch at The Houstonian with a few hundred friends -- or at least donors. They dined with Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal during one of two Texas fundraisers Jindal and Perry held today.
Perry's presidential campaign needs the money. They are spending heavily in Iowa. IowaPolitics.com says Perry's campaign bought hundreds more ads than any other candidate.
The latest ABC News Washington Post poll shows he's come up only slightly. Newt Gingrich is on top in the poll released this morning. Mitt Romney and Ron Paul are tied for second. Perry is next at 11 percent.
But one story in Iowa continues to be just how many voters are thinking about changing their minds. Less a month from the Iowa caucuses, 52 percent of voters are still considering another choice.
Meanwhile, the Pew Center for People and the Press asked Americans if this GOP nominating contest was helping or hurting impressions of the Republican field. Republicans said it was helping, Democrats hurting.
But independents -- who are key to winning a general election -- told Pew researchers this contest was making their impression of the GOP worse by a 3-to-1 margin.
rick perry, in focus, ted oberg
- weather: Rain showers popping up across SE Texas
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder 14 min ago
- Overturned tanker truck causing traffic nightmare 28 min ago
- Residents fire through door, killing woman 4 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Gay pride parade's new condom policy draws criticism
- Houston man sentenced for operating bogus ambulance companies
- Minn. mother, son accused of stealing gopher feet
- Diving great Greg Louganis to marry in fall 32 min ago
- Woodlands woman accused of setting fire to boyfriend's home
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7 million older model Jeeps
- otrc: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis 43 min ago
- abcnews: Brain-eating amoeba warning in Florida
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
48 min ago