Lawmakers take action after ABC13 exposes state's spending frenzy to bring NBA All-Star to Texas
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Last week at the start of the NBA All-Star weekend festivities, we showed you just how many millions of your tax dollars were going to millionaires and billionaires in order to bring All-Star games to Texas. Now, there is a proposal to stop that practice.
With the NBA All-Star game in Houston last weekend, the world was watching. But so were Texas lawmakers upset with the state spending your money on big screens for billionaires.
"We need to be prioritizing Texans' money in a way that actually makes sense," Austin State Sen. Kirk Watson said.
Our investigation looked in to how your dollars were being spent to attract big-time events to Texas. Plenty of it was legit, but millions were spent in Dallas to buy an arena big screen, and the Houston All-Star Committee wants millions more for massive arena upgrades here.
Late Friday afternoon, Watson filed a bill that -- if done years ago -- would've saved you millions.
"This sort of use of the money deserves the sort of accountability and reporting that this issue's received, and I appreciate what you've done," Watson said.
If passed, no more than 5 percent of the cost of permanent upgrades would be paid for. Taxpayers kicked in $8 million a piece for the Jumbotrons so that change alone would save $7.6 million Texas tax dollars.
"We want that big event to come to our community, but you don't get to put the entire bill on the taxpayer and then continue to make revenue off of the taxpayer's investment," Watson said.
Houston State Sen. Dan Patrick is working on a bill, too. He told us if these funds can't be tightened up, it's time to shut them down.
nba, in focus, ted oberg
- One dead, two injured in Colorado school shooting 7 min ago
- Woman found dead inside burned out home 1 min ago
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus 5 min ago
- Three Webster officers accused of using excessive force
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Tech sergeant surprises kids at school in time for Christmas 13 min ago
- Volunteers with local relief agency return from Philippines
- Man accused of throwing father out of his own home 34 min ago
- Police searching for Denny's restaurant robbers 35 min ago
- Police chase prompts lockdown at 2 schools 37 min ago
- Ex-Houston port IT director posts bond on theft charge 40 min ago
- Man accused of plotting to detonate bomb at Wichita airport
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos