Montgomery County attorney demanding return of funds from former commissioner, development company
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Montgomery County's county attorney is demanding half a million dollars from a former county commissioner, saying he received underserved gains from a construction project. The attorney is also demanding the return of millions more from a development company that built county projects.
In a letter sent to former Commissioner Ed Chance last week, the county attorney says Chance, "...had a duty to refrain from self-dealing... Nevertheless you accepted payments from [a developer-related company] in excess of $500,000 for your own personal gain."
The county wants that money back, along with millions more from the developer of the Joe Corley Detention Center and nearby county mental health facility.
Chance said the money was a disclosed loan he's since paid back.
Our attempts to reach the developer were unsuccessful.
The Montgomery County District Attorney declined to bring criminal charges in the case against either party earlier this year.
If the money is not paid back in 30 days, the county attorney is prepared to file a civil lawsuit.
We are investigating the claims with the Conroe Courier, one of our Houston Community Newspapers partners. The courier will have more in Monday's edition, and we'll have more next week on Eyewitness News.
in focus, ted oberg
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies 13 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 14 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game