Pastor arrested for not reporting alleged abuse of child
(8/23/06 - KTRK/HOUSTON) (KTRK) -- The pastor of a church on the northeast side was arrested late Wednesday afternoon. It came after a police investigation that lasted more than a month and a half.
Houston police say Pastor Robert Holmes knew about the abuse a 12-year-old boy was suffering, but did not report it to authorities. That boy is now living with other relatives. He sustained bruises, cuts and multiple broken bones, authorities say, at the hands of his father and stepmother.
According to police, the pastor thought counseling was enough to help the boy's family. The pastor maintains his innocence.
Holmes said, "I'm a pastor. I take care of this community. Criminals are killing folks, and (police) would do a man of God like this... That's sad. I didn't do anything!"
State law explicitly states:
- The requirement to report under this section applies without exception to an individual whose personal communications may otherwise be privileged, including an attorney, a member of the clergy, a medical practitioner...or others.
(Copyright © 2006, KTRK-TV)
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal