Pastor arrested for not reporting alleged abuse of child
(8/23/06 - KTRK/HOUSTON) (KTRK) -- The pastor of a church on the northeast side was arrested late Wednesday afternoon. It came after a police investigation that lasted more than a month and a half.
Houston police say Pastor Robert Holmes knew about the abuse a 12-year-old boy was suffering, but did not report it to authorities. That boy is now living with other relatives. He sustained bruises, cuts and multiple broken bones, authorities say, at the hands of his father and stepmother.
According to police, the pastor thought counseling was enough to help the boy's family. The pastor maintains his innocence.
Holmes said, "I'm a pastor. I take care of this community. Criminals are killing folks, and (police) would do a man of God like this... That's sad. I didn't do anything!"
State law explicitly states:
- The requirement to report under this section applies without exception to an individual whose personal communications may otherwise be privileged, including an attorney, a member of the clergy, a medical practitioner...or others.
(Copyright © 2006, KTRK-TV)
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested 56 min ago
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast 6 min ago
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt 52 min ago
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church