Fatal shooting at area high school
(10/17/06 - KTRK/KATY, TX) (KTRK) -- A high school student died after allegedly shooting himself at school just before noon Tuesday. The teenage boy was a student at Seven Lakes High School in Katy.
Frantic parents rushed to Seven Lakes High School, running desperately to make sure their children weren't hurt after the 16-year-old student reportedly shot himself during the lunch hour.
"It makes me very scared that someone could even take a gun in the school, much less use it," said parent Sandra Enlich. "How did he get the gun in the school? That's what worries me."
Enlich and other parents would soon learn the school immediately went on lockdown. There were no other students involved, but two students did see the shooting.
"We have recovered the weapon. A note was found at the scene," said Katy ISD Spokesperson Steve Stanford. "Right now, we are not releasing the contents of that note."
As the investigation continues, kids who knew the student describe him as quiet, but friendly.
"I've just seen him before and people have known him, but he wasn't in any sports," said fellow student Megan Lassek. "He was just a quiet person, good at work."
Worried moms and dads wondered if the shooting could be related to rumors that circulated at the school last week that a school shooting was going to happen on Friday the 13th. That didn't occur and for right now, they're just glad their kids are alright.
"Am I bringing her to school tomorrow? I don't know. I kept her out Friday the 13th," said parent Jody Lassek. "I don't take this stuff lightly."
School officials say they don't know if the rumor had anything to do with Tuesday's shooting. As for what happens Wednesday, plans are to resume classes. Extra security and grief counselors will be on hand for students who need it.
(Copyright © 2006, KTRK-TV)
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings 35 min ago
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- David Tillman's weather forecast
35 min ago