Former radio host Jon Matthews heads to prison for violating probation
(2/27/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) (KTRK) -- Former radio talk show host Jon Matthews is heading to prison. It was announced today that he agreed to plea deal that will mean more time behind bars for indecency with a child.
They originally gathered today to discuss punishment for Matthews' violation of his probation. Instead, there was an announcment that an apparent plea deal was decided late yesterday.
Matthews pled guilty to indecency with a child by exposure this morning and in exchange, he was sentenced to three years behind bars. The range of punishment could have been from two to 10 years.
All of this is stemming from a 2003 Sugar Land incident in which the former conservative talk show host exposed himself to an 11-year-old neighbor. He was given probation for the incident, but he was later caught violating the terms of the probation for using alcohol and discussing sexual fantasies over the Internet.
Matthews' attorney, Lee Cox, says he doubts his client will have to serve the full three years behind bars. He says it will be probably a year, depending on his behavior and how the board reviews his case.
It could take months before Matthews is transferred to a TDCJ facility and processed. In the meantime, Matthews will remain in custody at the Fort Bend County jail.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Home used in 'The Kardashians' for sale
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy 49 min ago
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 7 min ago
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home 46 min ago
- Fortune cookie lottery numbers scores NY woman a fortune
- Men sold Oreo trade secret to China 24 min ago
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos