'56 Most Wanted' an effective tool to catch criminals
(5/14/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) (KTRK) -- A Crime Stoppers publication is helping authorities catch fugitives wanted in the Houston area.
The magazine is called the "56 Most Wanted." Each issue features wanted felons, sex offenders, and capital murderers.
On Monday, the Harris County Sheriff's Department announced that more than half of the 56 fugitives featured in the January 2007 issue have been arrested, making it the most successful issue to date. Twenty of those arrests came from Crime Stoppers' tips alone.
"We want the public to know that if you look at those photos and you tell us where those felons are located, we can all work together to make our streets and our neighborhoods safer," said Katherine Cabaniss, executive director of Crime Stoppers.
Every four months, 40,000 copies of the publication are distributed at various locations such as courthouses and DMVs. The latest issue comes out this week.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year 1 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake' 52 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today 55 min ago
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Farmers' market fire in China's Shenzhen kills 16
- 'Hero' bus driver saves girl from dog attack
- David Tillman's Wednesday weather forecast
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos