Good news to report about violent crime in Houston
(7/06/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) (KTRK) -- There's some good news to report about violent crime in the city of Houston. All arrows are pointing down for the first time in a long time.
Here's what we found out when comparing the first five months of 2007 to the first five months of last year. Murders are down nearly 13 percent. Rape is down at more than 33 percent. Robbery is down 6.6 percent. And aggravated assault is down nearly 4 percent.
Overall, violent crime in Houston is down more than six percent. Residents in the Northside neighborhood that saw one of the sharpest decreases in rapes credit the men and women of law enforcement.
"I hope it stays that way," said Northside resident Shawanna Moore. "One day when I have kids, I don't want to worry about them walking to the store and getting snatched or something like that."
Houston police say they do not want to speculate as to why the numbers are down.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)
- Cocaine, cash found in abandoned chase suspect's car 51 min ago
- Vendor fired, took snow cones into bathroom 24 min ago
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets burgers for life 34 min ago
- Burglars break in through roof of Walgreen's store 7 min ago
- Youngest Oklahoma tornado victims remembered by kin
- 'Nashville' show putting spotlight on Music City
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone