No ministering for priest accused of abuse
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A priest accused of sexually abusing a boy between 1989 and 1993 was removed from ministry after investigators determined the allegations had merit, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo announced Sunday.
The victim, who is now an adult, told church officials in November that the Rev. Stephen R. Horn abused him while he was pastor of Christ the King Catholic Church, DiNardo said.
A special panel from the Archdiocesan Review Board investigated the allegations and concluded there was sufficient evidence to suggest that the abuse had occurred, he said.
"Today is time of pain and sorrow," DiNardo said. "Sorrow obviously for the person who made the allegation and sadness for the parishes and for the priest involved too."
Horn, 63, has been on leave from his current post as pastor of St. Luke the Evangelist Church since the allegations were made, DiNardo said. He had served as pastor of that church since 1994.
DiNardo said Horn was receiving care at a "facility that helps with some treatment and monitoring" for priests accused of abuse. He declined to say whether Horn has admitted or denied guilt.
Horn was ordained in 1973 and was highly respected within the archdiocese, DiNardo said.
DiNardo said the archdiocese will refer Horn's case to church officials in Rome, and he could face a canonical trial. The cardinal said the case also has been referred to the district attorney's office but it is likely that too much time has passed for him to be prosecuted.
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 1 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Boy, 2, FaceTimes to help mom instead of 911
34 min ago