Man dies in car fire on Houston's south side
HOUSTON (KTRK) (KTRK) -- A man was killed in a car fire on Houston's south side.
Witnesses tell police the man was driving erratically along East Orem last night. He then turned on Murr Way, jumped a curb and hit a parked car before crashing into the garage.
"He ran into the garage as he was mashing on the gas," said witness Kevan Irving, Jr. "He had ran into the garage and kept mashing the gas. The car had blown up in the garage."
A police officer tried to rescue the man, but the car was engulfed in flames. The driver died at the scene. The house caught fire as well, but no one else was hurt.
- Headlines at a glance
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies 14 min ago
- Students, parents react after HISD vote 50 min ago
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael' 15 min ago
- Judge bans gang members from East Aldine Safety Zone 50 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives?
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!