Police: Suspected molester gave confession
DAYTON, TX (KTRK) -- New details have been released about the man investigators say kidnapped a little girl. A new investigation is now underway to see if Kenneth Stewart may have attacked another little girl.
Stewart is accused in the abduction of a seven-year-old girl in the Fall Creek subdivision in Humble. He was arrested Tuesday night at his mother's home in Dayton.
Harris County Sheriff's investigators tell Eyewitness News they have a videotaped confession from Stewart. In the meantime, authorities in Liberty County are launching their own investigation. A neighbor has come forward claiming that Stewart inappropriately touched her two-year-old daughter. Despite all of these allegations, Stewart's mother is standing her ground.
Megan Pinkston once considered Kenneth Stewart a friend.
She said, "I would never think he would have done that, personally. But, like I say, I haven't talked to him in years. It's shocking for it to be out here."
Investigators say the 25-year-old father kidnapped a seven-year-old Humble girl before dropping her off in Baytown. Authorities tracked the accused child predator to his mother's house in Dayton and arrested him.
"I woke up with a light shining in my face and was told to sit down and be quiet," recalled Stewart's mother, Tessie Jackson.
Jackson is scared for her own safety, and asked Eyewitness News not to show her face. As troubling as the allegations against her son are, her support has not wavered.
She said, "Of course, given his track record, which is not shining by any means, they're going to distort it big time. And they did."
Stewart has been staying with his mother for nearly five months, ever since he got out of jail. Jackson says he hasn't seen his three-year-old daughter since January, which might explain his alleged behavior.
"I'm sure he misses his daughter," Jackson said.
We asked, "But to go out and allegedly abduct a seven-year-old girl?"
"That's allegations," Jackson responded.
Eyewitness News has also learned that officials with Children's Protective Services have expressed an interest in this case. They want to talk to Stewart's three-year-old daughter and see if there are any possible signs of abuse. They will also investigate the risk factor for abuse if Stewart were to have contact with her in the future.
We did some checking and found Kenneth Stewart has a long criminal history. His convictions date back eight years ago. Most recently, Stewart pleaded guilty to assault last June.
In November 2006, he pleaded guilty to a charge of child endangerment and DWI. He was also convicted on two separate misdemeanor counts of harassment. Other convictions include theft, making a terroristic threat and drug possession.
- June 2007 - Assault
- November 2006 - Endangering a child and DWI
- January 2006 - Harassment
- 2005 - Theft
- 2003 - Terroristic threat
- 2001 - Drug possession
- 2000 - Driving with a suspended license
local, andy cerota
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck 5 min ago
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 46 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
29 min ago