Piccolo earns fastest Chihuahua honors
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- It's off to San Diego for a pint size pooch from the Woodlands and his owners after the Houston regionals of the fourth annual PETCO Chihuahua races in League City Saturday.
More than 125 competitors had their eye on the west coast prize Saturday morning, with Piccolo winning the derby and a chance to represent Houston against Chihuahuas from across the country during a San Diego Padres game on August 31.
The champion canine winning was no accident. Piccolo's owners said their entry was well-prepared.
"He raced last year, but he was young, only 5 or 6 months old, and he turned right around and ran back to the start. This time, he was more mature, and had been to the dog park a bit," said Piccolo's owner, Minut Sanden.
In the last few weeks, Minut and her husband, Gunnar, fashioned a starting box at home to help familiarize Piccolo with what to expect. Now a year older, Piccolo, who is mostly white with a fawn mask and weighs between 5 and 6 pounds, responded well with the win.
Close behind was second place winner Angel, owned by Sidney Chadbourne, while Cookie, owned by Melissa Morning, took third.
Regional races were also held Saturday in Orlando, Phoenix, Sacramento and Anaheim, California. On April 26, PETCO Unleashed Chihuahua races will be held in Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, D.C., and Seattle; and on May 3 in San Francisco, Boston, Denver, San Diego and New York. The 15 regional champions will head to San Diego to battle it out in front of cheering crowds between innings of the Padres game at PETCO Park.
The national winner will receive a trophy, a $300 PETCO gift card and a year's supply of Royal Canin Chihuahua food. Plus, the winner will earn the coveted title of America's Fastest Chihuahua.
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?