Parents charged in case of home alone kids
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The parents accused of leaving their four children alone in a filthy apartment are now facing charges.
Corey Burist and Christina Zook each charged with two felony counts of abandoning a child. Arrest warrants have been issued.
Authorities discovered the four young children -- ages 7, 5, 3 and 2 -- in a northwest Harris County apartment on Tuesday. Prosecutors say the children were hungry, malnourished and the conditions in the apartment were deplorable.
Donna Hawkins, Harris County Assistant District Attorney, said, "The evidence in the probable cause states there were bugs and maggots throughout the house. There was rotting food. The young children were covered with feces and urine."
At an emergency hearing Wednesday, a judge ruled the children will stay in foster care for at least another week. Burist, the children's father, agreed with the decision.
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 57 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 22 min ago
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 56 min ago
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested 39 min ago
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast 17 min ago
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap 56 min ago
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt 35 min ago
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church