Parents charged in case of home alone kids
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The parents accused of leaving their four children alone in a filthy apartment are now facing charges.
Corey Burist and Christina Zook each charged with two felony counts of abandoning a child. Arrest warrants have been issued.
Authorities discovered the four young children -- ages 7, 5, 3 and 2 -- in a northwest Harris County apartment on Tuesday. Prosecutors say the children were hungry, malnourished and the conditions in the apartment were deplorable.
Donna Hawkins, Harris County Assistant District Attorney, said, "The evidence in the probable cause states there were bugs and maggots throughout the house. There was rotting food. The young children were covered with feces and urine."
At an emergency hearing Wednesday, a judge ruled the children will stay in foster care for at least another week. Burist, the children's father, agreed with the decision.
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'