Husband of missing Granville mom seeks custody
GRANVILLE COUNTY -- The case of a missing Granville County mother is turning into a battle over child custody. Kelly Currin Morris disappeared last September on the same day her home mysteriously caught fire.
Her husband Scott Morris - who detectives call a person of interest in the case - is seeking permanent custody of the couple's 5-year-old daughter Haley.
According to court documents, a judge has granted Scott Morris and his parents temporary child custody. The documents claim they are unaware of Kelly's whereabouts. It also suggests the case has hurt Scott Morris's towing business, leaving him unemployed and dependent on his parents for financial support.
The Morris's family attorney recently placed a legal notice in a local paper, giving Kelly 40 days after February 21, 2009 to respond to the child custody complaint. If she fails to respond, the court could grant permanent custody of her daughter to Scott and his parents.
Kelly's family declined to comment about the custody case. But, they remain focused on the search for any sign of the missing mother. Volunteers are welcomed at the Currin home on Old Weaver Trail Road every Saturday and Sunday. The searches now focus on abandoned wells in the surrounding area.
"We need closure," Juanita Currin told Eyewitness News. "Kelly's got two young children and they need to know what happened to their mother. She didn't just run away and leave them behind."
Anyone with information about Kelly Currin Morris case is urged to contact the Granville County Sheriff's Department.
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home