Firefighters upset over noose
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- What some people see as a symbol of hate has lead to a Houston fire captain being reprimanded.
[SIGN UP: Get headlines and breaking news sent to you]
The investigation centers around a complaint that came out of Fire Station 41, but the president of a black firefighters union says he is upset with the results.
Otis Jordan with the Houston Black Firefighters Union told city council the incident happened in early January when a firefighter witnessed a noose in a captain's locker at Fire Station 41.
"We're upset that they didn't handle it right," said Jordan.
Jordan believes the investigation was slow and is not pleased with the outcome
"All I'm asking the administration to do is to set the example from the top," said Jordan.
The mayor says he's asking the fire chief for additional facts on how the incident was handled.
"The results of the investigation I understand were reprimand," said Mayor Bill White.
Some council members are also asking for more information.
"Nooses are a really excruciatingly painful symbol," said City Council Member Jolanda Jones.
While Jordan says he hopes his message is being heard.
"What we're saying is that somehow the administration and the fire chief have to come up with some kind of plan to stop that kind of behavior because this is 2009," said Jordan.
Jordan says he is also considering contacting the Department of Justice.
We also contacted the Houston Fire Department who said they will issue a response soon.
local, christine dobbyn
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years
- Things you didn't know about reindeer