Wrestlemania taking over Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- What better place to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Wrestlemania than right here in Houston. For an event this big, one day just isn't enough.
[SIGN UP: Get headlines and breaking news sent to you]
For the next four days, wrestlers, wrestling fans and celebrities are taking over the city, leading up to the main event on Sunday. For the stars and their fans, Wrestlemania is like the Super Bowl and it's taking Houston by storm.
Wrestling fans were out in full force Thursday afternoon, standing in line four hours before the doors to Fan Fest even opened. Tom McInerney and his nephew are from Chicago.
"We've gone the last four years, travel all around the country," said McInerney. "It's a nice time."
It's an event so spectacular, it attracts worldwide attention. Raymond Bethune and his friend flew 10 hours from Scotland.
"It's WrestleMania, you can't beat it," said Bethune. "The matches, the excitement; it's everything, man. It's WrestleMania, like it says in the word, Wrestlemania."
Throughout it's 25-year history, Wrestlemania has become one of the most prominent events in sports entertainment. For wrestlers and their fans, participation is considered to be one of the greatest symbols of success in professional wrestling.
"This is an opportunity to have all of our storylines, all of our branding, all of the theming for the year culminate in one place," said Jon Saboor with World Wrestling Entertainment.
On Twitter, we asked people what they thought of Wrestlemania and if they were going. One person said, 'I'll be in Houston this weekend, tweeting as the events go down."
Someone else wrote, "We flew in from Seattle."
Organizers are expecting 70,000 people at Reliant Stadium Sunday night. They've already done $6.5 million in ticket sales. Fans tell us you can't beat the camaraderie.
"It's all about the fans," said fan Joey Medrano. "We have a good time. Everybody knows each other from meeting at other places. It's pretty cool."
For fans, Wrestlemania Axxess runs through Sunday at Reliant Center. Saturday, it's the WWE Hall of Fame. WWE superstars, divas and legends will be there for what's being billed as one of the most memorable evenings in WWE history. And Sunday is the main event -- the 25th anniversary of Wrestlemania kicking off at 5:30pm. Tickets are available for all events.
local, andy cerota
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time?
- Thieves get away with $100,000 in loot
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Sergio Garcia apologizes to Tiger Woods about comment
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Doctor wants tougher laws on dog maulings
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- Texas AG sues to get Galveston Co. judge off bench
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone