Judge pleads guilty to DUI
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, TX (KTRK) -- The Montgomery County judge is apologizing for driving while under the influence. Judge Al Sadler pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor DUI charge this morning.
[SIGN UP: Get headlines and breaking news sent to you]
Judge Sadler was arrested on March 4 on suspicion of DWI following a minor accident on the North Loop 336 west. The report at the time said Sadler was detained because he performed poorly on the field sobriety test. The district attorney's office says Sadler initially refused to submit to a breathalyzer test, but eventually complied after the DA's office obtained a search warrant for blood work.
That breathalyzer test showed his alcohol level below the legal limit however the blood test which was completed this week, showed that his blood alcohol level combined with the prescription drug Phenobarbitrol was higher than the legal limit. The judge left the courtroom today without speaking to the media.
In a written statement, Judge Sadler said, "I apologize to the people of Montgomery County and to Mrs. Vogel, who ended up with a damaged bumper. No one is above the law and I take full responsibility."
The DA's office says it's completely satisfied with the plea deal.
"We looked at what we offer on first time DWI's for all of the other citizens that are charged in this county and we recommended a sentence that was consistent with what we give any other citizen that is charged with a first time DWI in this county," said First Asst. District Attorney in Montgomery County Phil Grant. "We were consistent with what our normal plea bargain offers are."
As part of the deal, Judge Sadler was sentenced to three days in jail, which he's already served, a $1,000 fine and a 90-day suspension of his driver's license.
In that written statement the judge also added he wants to educate people about the dangers of mixing prescription drugs with alcohol. The DA's office tells Eyewitness News the prescription drug was legally prescribed to the judge.
local, gene apodaca
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- 'Hero' bus driver saves girl from dog attack
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Man's body found in middle of street in SW Houston 19 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake' 10 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa 26 min ago
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Farmers' market fire in China's Shenzhen kills 16 57 min ago
- Police: Ohio infant apparently killed by dogs
- David Tillman's Wednesday weather forecast
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos