Store donates $20K in lottery prize to school
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- A winning lottery ticket is paying off for area school kids, thanks to the generosity of a grocery store.Last month, one H-E-B customer in Alvin walked away with a lucky Texas Lotto ticket. As the retail store where the winning ticket was purchased, H-E-B in Alvin was awarded pay out monies.
In move to share the wealth, the store donated $20,000 to Mark Twain Primary, a school with 650 students located across the street from the store. According to an H-E-B spokesperson, the school will earmark the donation for P.E. equipment, including baseball gear, soccer balls and other sports equipment used for active, outdoor sports.
The announcement was made during a celebration at the school on Thursday afternoon, with H-E-Buddy on hand to entertain students, and refreshments provided for teachers.
lottery, alvin, local
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 47 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes 17 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead 39 min ago
- More Houstonians using METRO system 11 min ago
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room 16 min ago
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on Facebook 20 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
43 min ago
- Learning doesn't stop at Houston Rodeo
58 min ago