Another fire breaks out in Heights area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Residents in the Heights are waking up to an all too familiar scene -- fire trucks in their neighborhood. For the 20th time since August, crews were called to a home on fire in the Heights area.
The latest fire broke out around 3am at a single-story home on Nashua and West 15th. Arson investigators were called to the scene, along with HPD K-9 units. But so far, fire investigators have refrained from calling this a suspicious fire.
It appears the cause of the fire may be electrical, but is very early on in the investigation. The home is not vacant. A resident reported smoke coming from the roof and when firefighters arrived, flames were shooting from the attic.
"The resident was home. He got out safely and he's in front of the home at this time," said Chief Larry Gonzales with the Houston Fire Department
The homeowner, his daughter and his granddaughter escaped the fire without injury.
If this latest fire is determined to be suspicious in nature, it would be the 20th one in the Heights since August 11.
Just last Wednesday, there was a suspicious fire just blocks away on Herkimer and West 15th. Firefighters believe someone is setting these fires on purpose and they've made one arrest for one of the fires. David Prince is charged with setting the fire on West 12th near Herkimer in September. He remains in jail.
heights, fire, local, andy cerota
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'