City proclaims Sheriff Adrian Garcia Day
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston Mayor Bill White proclaimed December 10, 2009 as Sheriff Adrian Garcia Day for the sheriff's work and contribution to fighting crime, especially through his support of Crime Stoppers.
According to the proclamation, presented Thursday by Council Member Edward Gonzalez, Sheriff Garcia "is maintaining a pivotal role in helping ensure the success of Crime Stoppers. Cooperation as both the sheriff and as a concerned citizen has greatly assisted not only the organization, but also the countless number of people Crime Stoppers helps."
The presentation was made at a news conference announcing Sheriff Garcia's allocation of half a million dollars of seized funds to Crime Stoppers. The money will be used to further Crime Stoppers' mission to solve and prevent crime in the Greater Houston Area.
"We're doing some big-time recycling today. My payment to Crime Stoppers is being made with assets seized from criminals. Their ill-gotten gains will be used to catch other criminals just like them. We're recycling crime money," Sheriff Garcia said.
Through October of this year, tips to Crime Stoppers helped arrest 673 suspected felons in the Houston area, including nine capital murder suspects.
adrian garcia, crime stoppers, local
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 24 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 25 min ago
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site 44 min ago
- No jail for teen whose lawyers argued 'affluenza' 24 min ago
- Two of 3 suspected burglars caught in the act
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Restaurant robbery attempt foiled by quick-thinking worker 13 min ago
- Exxon Mobil building evacuated due to fire on roof