Text message helps police nab suspected kidnappers
STAFFORD, TX (KTRK) -- We're hearing from a man who is giving a pat on the back to technology. He was abducted at gunpoint and forced into his own trunk and that's when he let his thumbs do the talking.
A 17-year-old has been arrested and charged with aggravated kidnapping and a 16-year-old is also in custody. It was a text message that led deputies to both of them. It also may have saved the victim's life.Thi Yuan Yen was leaving his apartment in Stafford on Christmas Day when the terrifying road trip began. "I tried to find my GPS then suddenly the man opened my door," said Thi. As Thi got into his car, he was forced to go for a ride he hadn't planned on taking. "At the beginning, he used the gun and pointed it to my back," said Thi. As he drove, the suspect who Fort Bend County deputies now identify as Jeremy Banguero, 17, suddenly told Thi to stop. "He asked me to get out of the car and get into the trunk with the gun," said Thi. Thi was in the trunk of his own car and believed they were on the way to the bank. At some point, he heard a second person get in the car. He feared a phone call would make too much noise. "The only thing I could think of was to send a text message to my friend because my friend has most of my information," said Thi. "If 911 needs it, then he can respond to them." So he sent a text message to his friend that read, "Robbed Call Police," with his license plate number. His friend called 911. As the car approached the ATM, the suspects had Thi get back to the driver's side to take out cash. "I gave them the money, but in one minute the cops showed up while I was in the car with them," said Thi. "They asked me to tell the cops that we are friends, so I said we are friends." Fortunately, deputies didn't buy it and arrested Banguero and his 16-year-old accomplice. "Really, really a Merry Christmas. I'm glad I'm still alive," said Thi. Thi said he has some advice,that you should always lock your car doors as soon as you get inside. He also said to memorize your license plate number.
local, christine dobbyn
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy 53 min ago
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal 58 min ago
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Video: Pope Francis stirs up a little controversy 42 min ago
- Van smashes into home in northwest Harris Co.
- Club's opening night ends in deadly gunfire
- Man wants to remove 'murder' tattoo before murder trial
- Boy, 9, sang gospel until abductor released him
- Child left sleeping on Pasadena ISD school bus
- Driver ends up in San Antonio swimming pool
- Newborn tips scales at 14.5 pounds
- Cabbies compete for ride business
10 min ago
- What should you know about ride sharing
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos