Text message helps police nab suspected kidnappers
STAFFORD, TX (KTRK) -- We're hearing from a man who is giving a pat on the back to technology. He was abducted at gunpoint and forced into his own trunk and that's when he let his thumbs do the talking.
A 17-year-old has been arrested and charged with aggravated kidnapping and a 16-year-old is also in custody. It was a text message that led deputies to both of them. It also may have saved the victim's life.Thi Yuan Yen was leaving his apartment in Stafford on Christmas Day when the terrifying road trip began. "I tried to find my GPS then suddenly the man opened my door," said Thi. As Thi got into his car, he was forced to go for a ride he hadn't planned on taking. "At the beginning, he used the gun and pointed it to my back," said Thi. As he drove, the suspect who Fort Bend County deputies now identify as Jeremy Banguero, 17, suddenly told Thi to stop. "He asked me to get out of the car and get into the trunk with the gun," said Thi. Thi was in the trunk of his own car and believed they were on the way to the bank. At some point, he heard a second person get in the car. He feared a phone call would make too much noise. "The only thing I could think of was to send a text message to my friend because my friend has most of my information," said Thi. "If 911 needs it, then he can respond to them." So he sent a text message to his friend that read, "Robbed Call Police," with his license plate number. His friend called 911. As the car approached the ATM, the suspects had Thi get back to the driver's side to take out cash. "I gave them the money, but in one minute the cops showed up while I was in the car with them," said Thi. "They asked me to tell the cops that we are friends, so I said we are friends." Fortunately, deputies didn't buy it and arrested Banguero and his 16-year-old accomplice. "Really, really a Merry Christmas. I'm glad I'm still alive," said Thi. Thi said he has some advice,that you should always lock your car doors as soon as you get inside. He also said to memorize your license plate number.
local, christine dobbyn
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft 25 min ago
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site
- Motorcyclist dies after colliding with car 22 min ago
- Are more Doritos-flavored foods on the way? 39 min ago
- Astrodome to be considered historic landmark
- No jail for teen whose lawyers argued 'affluenza'
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees