Two killed in multiple-car accident
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a driver veered into oncoming traffic on Highway 6 early this morning, causing a double fatal accident.
Police say around 3:50am, the driver of a Crown Victoria was driving north on Highway 6 just south of Bear Creek Park when he veered into oncoming traffic. There was one driver who did swerve to avoid the collision, but behind that vehicle, the driver of a pickup truck didn't get out of the way fast enough.
That Crown Victoria driver struck the pickup truck head-on. A white Lexus was behind that pickup truck then struck the pickup. The Crown Victoria ricocheted off the pickup truck, striking an Escalade.
"It's a pretty big scene. The point of impact was pretty hard. There are gouge marks on the roadway. There is debris scattered all over the place," said Sgt. Ignacio Izaguirre with the Houston Police Department. "The pickup truck flipped over and that created all kinds of debris, as well. There were other vehicles involved, so it's kind of scattered all over the place."
Five people were taken to area hospitals, two by Life Flight. The drivers of the Dodge pickup and the Crown Victoria died at the scene. Police say they searched the cars but didn't find any evidence of alcohol. Now, they'll await toxicology reports to confirm that.
The Medical Examiner's office identified one of the victim as 32-year-old Benjamin Arnold. The other victim hasn't been identified yet.
All six lanes of Highway 6 were closed for several hours.
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Cold, damp weather to continue
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Ice to linger over much of Texas
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats
- Crowds smoke pot, celebrate legalization
11 min ago