Students, pizza customers raise money for local family
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- School children and an area pizza restaurant owner collected thousands of dollars in gift cards to help a family that will be featured on ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.The children at St. Clare of Assisi Catholic School collected $5,000 for the Beach family. The Extreme Makeover crew will build the Beach family a new home to replace one in Kemah destroyed by Hurricane Ike.
Student Andrew Anzalone said, "I just thought it was nice and they really needed the money and I didn't need any really, so I didn't need to use, so they could use it more."
"I did my chores," said student Monica Asuncion. "I saved up some money over the summer and from my birthday (to donate) $10-15."
The owner of Mario's Pizza also collected $3,000 in gift cards from customers.
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies 17 min ago
- Students, parents react after HISD vote 53 min ago
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael' 18 min ago
- Judge bans gang members from East Aldine Safety Zone 53 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives?
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!