Family fight ends in double murder
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family fight leads to a double murder at a southeast Houston apartment complex. A woman and her 15-year old daughter are dead, allegedly killed by the woman's husband.
The alleged shooter is in jail this morning as neighbors of the victims try to make sense of the crime. Authorities identified the suspect as 39-year-old Jaime Piero Cole.
Police believe this was a tragic case of domestic violence. It was around 7:30pm Thursday when officers were called to reports of a double shooting at the Summer Cove apartments on FM 1959 at Gulfstream. Cole is accused in the fatal shooting of his estranged wife, Melissa Dawn Cole, 31, and her daughter, Alecia Desire Castillo, 15.
Investigators say the mother and father in this case had been separated. The mother and her daughter had recently moved to the apartment complex. The father came to the apartment last night to drop off their two-year-old and 10-year-old sons.
"When he got here with the two boys, he and the wife got into an argument and the argument escalated," said investigator H.A. Chavez with the Houston Police Department. "The 15-year-old tried to intervene. The adult female got shot, and then the juvenile was shot."
Police say the father then left the 10-year-old boy at the scene. He took the other 2-year-old with him. Neighbors say the suspect broke the back gate of the complex during his getaway, and law enforcement later caught up with him at a Wal-Mart in Wharton County.
The toddler was recovered unharmed and both sons were released to relatives. There was also a little school aged girl at the home that the mom was looking after. She was not injured.
Cole now faces capital murder charges.
local, elissa rivas
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 34 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer 12 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone 40 min ago
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers