Last call for Galveston Island Ike debris
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Debris removal crews began making final passes along all Galveston Island streets this week.Friday, February 19 is the last day crews will collect hurricane debris from the city's right-of-way for free. The City of Galveston's debris contractor has been clearing Ike-damaged materials from neighborhood streets for the last 16 months, but as FEMA's 100 percent reimbursement deadline looms, officials are advising residents to take note of the final debris collection schedule.
March 13 marks the last day FEMA will reimburse the City of Galveston for 100 percent of all debris removal costs. To ensure all remaining debris is cleared by that date, residents must move their damaged items to the right-of-way for collection now. Contractors will are currently making final passes along all city streets. Once a particular block is complete, contractors will not be returning.
If debris is not placed in the right-of-way now, the city's contractor will be unable to collect it within FEMA's reimbursement timeframe. Residents who do not meet the deadline will have to dispose of debris at their own cost.
Hurricane Ike-related debris has far surpassed officials' original estimates. More than 1.5 million cubic yards of material has already been removed from Galveston Island alone.
galveston, hurricane ike, local
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- 'Hero' bus driver saves girl from dog attack
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Aaron Hernandez: Life in jail less stressful 35 min ago
- Canadian airline granting Christmas wishes 3 min ago
- Marine reels in great white while fishing on beach 9 min ago
- Man's body found in middle of street in SW Houston 54 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake' 18 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa 18 min ago
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- David Tillman's Wednesday weather forecast
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos