Boy, 13, dies digging sand tunnel in backyard
SANTA FE, TX -- A Santa Fe-area boy has died in the collapse of a sand tunnel he was digging in the family's back yard.The Galveston County Sheriff's Office identified the victim as 13-year-old Josh Stone.
A news release says the victim was discovered late Friday by his brother, with the teen's lower legs the only part of his body showing from the sand pile. Investigators say it appears the sand collapsed around the victim.
The sheriff's department says the victim was last seen alive around 2 p.m. Friday. The teen was discovered missing nearly three hours later when the children's father returned home from work.
Stone was transported to Mainland Center Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
santa fe, local
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Country singer Slim Whitman dies at age 90 20 min ago
- Authorities raid alleged stash house in SE Houston
- 8 hurt, some seriously, when car jumps curb in NYC 59 min ago
- Social services worker stole from clients in SE Texas 38 min ago
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Mentally disabled mother, child held captive in Ohio
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song 28 min ago
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos