Rabid bat found in Baytown
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- There's a renewed warning to stay away from bats if you spot one in your neighborhood. A bat that was discovered in Baytown has tested positive for rabies.A family noticed their cat playing with something along ward near Danubina Street, which turned out to be a bat. They called animal control, who took the bat away and tested it for rabies. That test came back positive.
The cat had to be euthanized because it didn't have its rabies vaccine. Animal control officials say about one percent of bats carry rabies. Residents across our area may see more bats this time of year, due to migratory patterns.
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston 57 min ago
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'