New HPD chief faces three main objectives
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The city of Houston has a new top cop. Acting Chief Charles McClelland is officially the new man in charge.He takes over a department that's seen a drop in violent crime in recent years, but it's also struggling with budget problems.
In front of a supportive audience of city staffers and council members Wednesday, Mayor Annise Parker made what could possibly be the most important appointment of her term as mayor -- a new police chief.
"This is a chief who came up through the ranks," said Mayor Parker Wednesday. "He knows his way around the city. He's intimately familiar with every neighborhood in the city, and he will be out and accessible. He will be a very recognizable figure in the city."
Having been a part of the Houston Police Department for more than 32 years, Chief McClelland says he didn't initially set out with the goal of one day becoming the city's top cop.
"It was only my dream back in 1977 to commit to public service and making a difference in this community," he said.
But now that he is, the new chief has three main objectives:
"I just think we can do a better job with the resources that we have," said McClelland.
Chief McClelland says he expects to scrub through the entire police budget, and find savings at every point. He will need a police union willing to work with him in tough times. And so far, they are.
"I'm very happy," said Houston Police Officers Union President Gary Blankinship. "Chief McClelland is a tenured guy, came up through the ranks. He's very well respected by the rank and file. I'm looking forward to working with him."
Chief McClelland is a 32-year veteran of HPD. He's been an assistant chief since 1998. Before becoming the acting chief, McClelland was the head of the department's investigative operations, which includes robbery, homicide, and burglary divisions.
annise parker, local, miya shay
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 42 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 1 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss 9 min ago
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed 45 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing 55 min ago
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 25 min ago
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen 34 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym 10 min ago
- Spruce up your furniture for spring
3 min ago
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym
10 min ago