HFD truck involved in accident
Monday, April 19, 2010
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston Fire Department vehicle has been involved in an accident in northwest Houston.The fire truck was from Station 13 and is called 'Lucky Number 13.' That was definitely the case Monday as the three firefighters injured were taken to the hospital with non life threatening injuries. Shortly after 10am Monday, the HFD pumper truck was involved in a wreck on the service road for Highway 290 near TC Jester. The crew was responding to an accident on Highway 290 involving a school bus and a car. Apparently the fire truck slid under an overpass and hit the freeway support, crushing the front windshield of the fire truck. "I heard the sirens so I stopped. I saw the truck coming through the grass and onto the feeder from the highway. The driver seemed to be taking control pretty well, then all of a sudden he hit the structure holding up the bridge and spun the truck around," said witness Josh Smith. He said it was a very violent crash and was loud. "The firefighters in the rear of the cabin busted through the window with a fire ax to come to the aid of the passenger, who seemed to be the only one injured," said Smith. "He went down to his knees and he was moving around, doing fine. The rest of the firefighters inside the truck helped him until the ambulance got there." A representative with the Houston Fire Department says they're not aware of the specifics of what caused the accident, but weather and roads can always play a factor. "These are very heavy vehicles, so any sharp turns, any sudden stops are just not possible when the roads are wet," said HFD Assistant Chief Karen DuPont. She went on to say that all three firefighters were transported for evaluation and appear to have non life threatening injuries. The department is continuing to investigate the accident.
(Copyright ©2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
houston fire department, local, gene apodaca
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting 36 min ago
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year 42 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today 56 min ago
- Female libido drug remains in limbo
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos