Police: Man kills his wife, then himself
LAKE JACKSON, TX (KTRK) -- Police say a Lake Jackson man who shot and killed his wife ended up taking his own life as he tried to run from officers.Lake Jackson police were called to home on Post Oak around 8:20pm Wednesday after neighbors reported hearing shots fired. According to Lt. Kibodeaux, a neighbor saw the suspect drive away and followed him while talking to police on a cell phone until police were able to catch up to the suspect.
Lt. Kibodeaux said the suspected shooter, who's been identified as Curtis Maynard, 42, drove just above normal speeds. When he reached the north side of Lake Jackson on Highway 288, Maynard shot himself, police say, and crashed into a vehicle that had pulled over to get out of the way of the chase. Maynard's vehicle then crashed into a ditch, blocking several lanes of traffic. He was pronounced dead at the scene from the gunshot wound.
Lt. Kibodeaux said Maynard fatally shot his ex-wife Melissa Mesa, 34, at the home on Post Oak. He also allegedly shot and wounded the couple's teenager daughter. She is reportedly in stable condition.
While no specific incident seemed to spark the shootings, police have learned Maynard was unhappy with the couple's divorce.
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting
- Video from violent fast food robbery released 16 min ago
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Female libido drug remains in limbo
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Man banned from Walmart for life
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos