Two-alarm fire damages Alvin City Library
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- Firefighters were called to an early morning fire at the Alvin City Library, which was under renovation.According to the Alvin Fire Department, the two-alarm fire broke out at about 6:30am at the Alvin City Library on Gordon at Sealy. The fire started in the back of the library. There was only minor fire damage, but the library suffered heavy smoke damage.
The main part of the library has been closed for several weeks because a restoration company was repairing mold damage to the building caused by Hurricane Ike.
No one was in the building at the time of the fire. However, books were damaged and early voting that was supposed to take place on the other side of the building will have to be moved.
The cause of the fire has not been determined. The fire marshal has been called to investigate.
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course