Two-alarm fire damages Alvin City Library
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- Firefighters were called to an early morning fire at the Alvin City Library, which was under renovation.According to the Alvin Fire Department, the two-alarm fire broke out at about 6:30am at the Alvin City Library on Gordon at Sealy. The fire started in the back of the library. There was only minor fire damage, but the library suffered heavy smoke damage.
The main part of the library has been closed for several weeks because a restoration company was repairing mold damage to the building caused by Hurricane Ike.
No one was in the building at the time of the fire. However, books were damaged and early voting that was supposed to take place on the other side of the building will have to be moved.
The cause of the fire has not been determined. The fire marshal has been called to investigate.
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail