Victim of alleged cop beating is teen
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A mother is outraged after her 15-year-old son was allegedly beaten by a group of Houston police officers. Those officers are now off the street and the FBI is involved in the case.Chad Holley, now 16, is the victim of an alleged case of excessive force by eight Houston police officers. The alleged beating happened on March 24. A young burglary suspect was allegedly chased down by eight officers. He claims he did not resist arrest when they threw him in cuffs and proceeded to beat him. That alleged beating was reportedly captured by surveillance camera outside a storage center.
Eyewitness News has filed an open records request for the Houston Police Department to release the video which reportedly shows eight officers beating that handcuffed suspect back in March.
The accused officers are:
- With the Westside Gang Unit:
- Sgt. John W. McClellan - sworn in May 1972
- Ofc Raad M. Hassan - sworn in Dec 2003
- Ofc Waleed M. Hassan - sworn in May 2001
- Ofc Philip N. Bryan - sworn in Dec 1990
- Ofc Drew W. Ryser - sworn in Feb 2007
- Ofc Andrew T. Blomberg - sworn in Feb 2007
- Ofc Gaudencio Saucedo - sworn in April 2002
- Sr. Ofc Lewis M. Childress - sworn in July 1988
With the Westside Tactical Unit:
The incident took place outside a self storage facility in southwest Houston. The video in question was recorded by that facility's cameras.
An employee of the storage business contacted activist Quanell X and showed him the video. Quanell says the tape is disturbing. We are told the young victim spent several days in the hospital with serious injuries before being booked into jail.
Chad's mother Joyce Holley said she was in shock when she picked up her son from juvenile detention after seeing him with what she described as cuts and a fractured nose.
"He was bruised ... and his nose was fractured, and he had a funny walk, like he was limping or something. I took him to the west Houston hospital we stayed there until the next day," Joyce Holley said. "I was angry. I was upset. I didn't know what to say. I was screaming and hollering in the place where I was."
Harris County District Attorney Pat Lykos said in a statement that the DA's office "is conducting an independent investigation into the incident involving the suspension of eight officers. Houston Police Department officials notified us immediately upon their receipt and viewing of the video tape involved and have cooperated fully in the investigation."Houston Mayor Annise Parker says she wants to see this investigation run its course.
"The status of the criminal investigation is in the hands of the district attorney's office," Mayor Parker said. "I will note that as soon as the police department and the district attorney received evidence of a possible incident, they acted immediately. We're going to do a full investigation and get to the bottom of it."
Mayor Parker has not seen the tape. Houston Police Chief Charles McClelland would only tell us that he's seen the tape and he is concerned. The officers involved have been relieved of duty pending the outcome of an investigation.
According to FBI spokesperson Shauna Dunlap, the FBI will offer their assistance to the district attorney. After the local investigation, the FBI would file their report to the department of justice, who would then determine if federal charges are warranted in this case.
Stay with ABC13 Eyewitness News for the latest on this developing story.
houston police department, local
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas 38 min ago
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced 27 min ago
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery
- Runoff to determine new Montgomery County judge 3 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 290 missing, 6 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 20 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
52 min ago
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos