Report: Continental/United merger may be near
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There are reports that Houston-based Continental Airlines and United Airlines have reached a merger deal.Thousands of people in Houston work for Continental Airlines. A merger may send Continental headquarters on the move across the country.
People familiar with the situation tell The Associated Press that United and Continental are moving closer to announcing as early as Monday that they will combine to form the world's largest carrier by passenger traffic.
They say Continental's board plans to meet Friday and Sunday to consider a deal.
One person briefed on the talks says United and Continental executives have agreed that the combined company would be called United, based in United's hometown of Chicago, and run by Continental CEO Jeff Smisek. Directors for both companies would need to approve all those decisions.
The companies are declining to comment.
Continental Airlines has 16,000 Houston area employees but no one has said what would happen to those jobs.
Earlier this week, city and county officials in our area sent a letter to Continental, pleading their case to keep the airline here. In part, the letter points out that Texas has a lower unemployment rate over Illinois, and that Houston has the businesses and banks to support Continental.
Two years ago Continental's board voted no to a merger with United.The Associated Press contributed to this report.
continental airlines, local
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co. 5 min ago
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Search continues for clues in women's murders 18 min ago
- Photos: Two dead after car hits crowd in Austin
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her 46 min ago
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck 40 min ago
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'
- Judge bans gang members from East Aldine Safety Zone
- College students paid to take a year off?
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
50 min ago
- Crime Stoppers using social media to stop...
16 min ago