Continental's CEO meets with employees
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- For the first time since it was announced that Continental and United airlines would merge, Continental employees are hearing what it means for them -- sort of.Continental CEO Jeff Smisek held two meeting with employees here in Houston Friday. He came face to face with more than 3,200 employees to talk about the merger between Continental and United airlines. These were closed meetings. Employees had to show a badge to get in.
Many of them privately told me they were excited for details about what this merger would mean for them, but then were disappointed to get vague answers to their questions and little reassurance about their job status.
Employees were told they won't see any changes before the end of 2010, but that layoffs are likely in the next two years because, as with any merger, there will be overlap in positions.
"He starts the meeting out with a little bit of an update to the reasoning behind the merger, then opens it up to questions from employees so he can hear what's on their minds and address their individual concerns," explained Continental spokesperson Julie King.
One Continental employee wrote me an email after Friday morning's meeting saying "we really learned nothing new ... Many of my co-workers asked about our reservations center and about our (job) security. He skimmed over it and kept saying he does not know yet."
continental airlines, local
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston 2 min ago
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe 13 min ago
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it terminated
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats
- Katy rolls to playoff win over Manvel
8 min ago