Inmate found dead in Galveston Co. Jail
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- In October, Dennis Bradford was arrested for a horrific crime that happened 20 years ago -- raping an eight-year-old girl and leaving her for dead in a field.Now he'll never go to trial because on Monday morning, deputies found him dead in his jail cell, and there was nothing natural or accidental about the way he died. Police said Bradford took his own life early Monday morning. He was at the center of a two-decade long cold case in Dickinson. The discovery was made early this morning inside a single man cell at the Galveston County Jail. Deputies say Bradford hanged himself with a noose from a bed cover. The 40-year-old was awaiting trial on attempted capital murder charges in one of Dickinson's most remembered cases. "I'd like to thank everyone," said his victim, Jennifer Schuett right after his arrest. Just last October, the victim in that case spoke following his arrest. Schuett was just eight years old when she was kidnapped from her bed, sexually assaulted and left to die with a cut throat. She not only survived but lived to speak about his arrest almost two decades later. "I hope that my case will remain as a reminder to all victims of violent crime to never give up hope in seeking justice," she said, "no matter how long it may take or how hard it may be." She saw the day her accused attacked was handcuffed and locked up, but Bradford's suicide came before she had her day in court. Schuett has said she came forward in order to encourage others who may be waiting for justice. Schuett did not talk on camera about Bradford's suicide, but she did post a statement on her website, JusticeforJennifer.com, which reads, in part, "I am shocked and disappointed at the news of Bradford resorting to suicide, as I looked forward to facing him in the courtroom this fall, and now feel as though I was robbed of that opportunity... I will continue to use my voice and advocate for other victims of crime."
(Copyright ©2014 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
galveston, local, christine dobbyn
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women 21 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 39 min ago
- Recognize either of these guys?
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co. 12 min ago
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Cops: 2 OD on heroin as kids play at McDonald's 49 min ago
- Mandalay Bay agrees to $500K fine in drug sting
- Pap smears could be thing of the past
- Designer Western wear on a budget
- Photos: Texas A&M nursing bald eagle back to...