Protesters pose nearly naked at BP HQ
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Activists staged a nearly naked protest to bring attention to the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.Dozens of Codepink activisits, in a women-led, women-initiated action, took their message to the public in front of the BP headquarters on Westlake Park Boulevard just before noon Monday. The women posed nearly naked, dripping with 'oil' and dragging nets of fish.
The protesters mourned the deaths of the 11 workers and devastation of wildlife and livelihoods all along the Gulf Coast.
"At the BP headquarters we will put our bodies on the line to hold BP accountable for the rape and plunder of our planet," says Diane Wilson, a fourth generation fisherwoman from the Gulf who joined the protest. "We call for stripping BP of its corporate charter and seizing its assets to pay the victims, clean up the Gulf and try to restore the devastated wildlife."
The Codepink protesters are calling for BP to be held accountable, for an end to offshore drilling and for a total restructuring of US energy towards renewable sources.
- Severe weather possible across Houston area
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 29 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 29 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Casey Curry's Saturday forecast
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos