Three die in horrific crash in La Porte
LA PORTE, TX (KTRK) -- Three people were killed in a tragic crash in the La Porte area early this morning.The wreck happened at about 3:30am. Police say a Nissan AS5 driven by a 29-year-old man was traveling westbound on North Avenue H at a high rate of speed. They believe the driver ran the stop sign at the corner of Ave. H and Underwood Road, collided with a Ford Focus traveling on Underwood. There were two women -- an 18-year-old driver and a 21-year-old passenger -- in the Ford, along with an infant.
"There was a baby in the car, buckled in the car seat and it appears to be fine," said Asst. Chief Steve Deardorff with the La Porte Police Department. "He was transported to Hermann Hospital but we don't believe the baby is hurt seriously."
Police say both vehicles came to rest nearly 100 feet from the point of impact. The driver of the Ford was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Nissan and the female passenger in the Ford were airlifted to Hermann Hospital. The infant was taken to Hermann Hospital via Deer Park EMS.
While awaiting surgery, both adult victims succumbed to their injuries. As of mid-morning, the infant child was still alive with an unknown head injury.
Occupants of both vehicles were wearing their seatbelts and the child was in a child seat which was seat belted in the back seat, behind the driver's seat.
There were no witnesses to the accident. The victims have not been identified.
la porte, local
- Severe weather possible across Houston area
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 24 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 24 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Casey Curry's Saturday forecast
52 min ago