Driver crashes into bayou off Highway 288
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man was injured after crashing into a bayou off Highway 288.The accident happened after 11:30am on the South Freeway at Orem. Authorities shut down all southbound lanes for a while, causing delays in the area.
The 55-year-old driver had to be extricated from the vehicle. The driver was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital. The victim's condition is unknown.
The driver told authorities he was looking at a map when he veered too far to the right and drove off the freeway. He said his car was going so fast that he went airborne down the embankment and cleared the water in Sims Bayou, landing in the mud on the south side of the bayou.
The car sustained heavy damage to its front.
- Outlet mall shoppers get scare on Sunday 2 min ago
- Car leaves gaping hole in apartment complex
- Record tied at RodeoHouston school art auction
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring 48 min ago
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- Rockets fall to Heat for third straight loss
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- North Loop WB at Highway 290 shut down due to lost load
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- HISD expanding dual language program