Teen testifies in grand jury investigation
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A teenager who says he was beaten by police told his story to a grand jury for the first time. That grand jury decides whether several Houston police officers should face criminal charges.The grand jury saw video of the alleged beating over a month ago and has also heard from the police officers involved. On Monday the teenager at the center of it all got his chance to tell them his side of the story.
The grand jury has been listening to testimony in this case for a month now. Chad Holley's attorney didn't say much about what was said because the proceedings are kept secret.
Joyce Holley said very little to us as her 16-year-old son Chad testified before a grand jury today. Unreleased surveillance video allegedly shows eight Houston police officers beating the unarmed burglary suspect outside a southwest Houston storage facility. After about an hour, Holley emerged from behind closed doors but said nothing.
Holley's attorney Wilvin Carter said, "Based on how Chad responded and based on the reception that I got from him, I think everything went pretty well."
Holley appeared before the grand jury for the first time almost three months to the day of the alleged beating by police back in March. Last month photos were released of the injuries which he claims to have suffered at the hands of several officers who have since been relieved of duty. Whether their alleged actions warrant criminal charges is still unclear. Carter says the uncertainty is beginning to take its toll on the family.
"They're tired. They feel like victims," Carter said. "They really just want it behind them at this point and time."
The surveillance video isn't being released because the investigation is ongoing.
houston police department, local, andy cerota
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas 36 min ago
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced 25 min ago
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery
- Runoff to determine new Montgomery County judge 1 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 290 missing, 6 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 18 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
50 min ago
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos