Bicycle hours on METRO light rail to be expanded
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- METRO is trying to make it easier for bicyclists to travel on light rail.Starting today, bicycle hours on METRO light rail will be expanded. Bicyclists are not allowed on light rail during rush hour Monday through Friday, but can take bikes on trains at any other time.
METRO defines rush hour as 6:30am to 9am and 3pm to 6pm. Only two bikes are allowed per railcar. However, that could change when the city gets new equipment.
"Given the physical constraints, this is a good policy, the best we can do until we get better equipment," said Peter Wang with Bike Houston.
"We've got an order in for 100 more light rail cars for the new light rail lines," said METRO board member Christof Spieler. "So we're looking at fitting bike racks on those new cars and fitting racks on existing cars."
Bike Houston is also working with METRO on adding bicycle racks at rail platforms.
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home 6 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Bicyclist killed in Montrose-area hit-and-run 56 min ago
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck 30 min ago
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle
- Ohio murder suspect nabbed at Houston buffet restaurant
- Thief steals man's pants and shoots him
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations