Bicycle hours on METRO light rail to be expanded
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- METRO is trying to make it easier for bicyclists to travel on light rail.Starting today, bicycle hours on METRO light rail will be expanded. Bicyclists are not allowed on light rail during rush hour Monday through Friday, but can take bikes on trains at any other time.
METRO defines rush hour as 6:30am to 9am and 3pm to 6pm. Only two bikes are allowed per railcar. However, that could change when the city gets new equipment.
"Given the physical constraints, this is a good policy, the best we can do until we get better equipment," said Peter Wang with Bike Houston.
"We've got an order in for 100 more light rail cars for the new light rail lines," said METRO board member Christof Spieler. "So we're looking at fitting bike racks on those new cars and fitting racks on existing cars."
Bike Houston is also working with METRO on adding bicycle racks at rail platforms.
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck 5 min ago
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 21 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday! 7 min ago
- Avoid baggage fees with these packing tips 13 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
51 min ago