Bicycle hours on METRO light rail to be expanded
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- METRO is trying to make it easier for bicyclists to travel on light rail.Starting today, bicycle hours on METRO light rail will be expanded. Bicyclists are not allowed on light rail during rush hour Monday through Friday, but can take bikes on trains at any other time.
METRO defines rush hour as 6:30am to 9am and 3pm to 6pm. Only two bikes are allowed per railcar. However, that could change when the city gets new equipment.
"Given the physical constraints, this is a good policy, the best we can do until we get better equipment," said Peter Wang with Bike Houston.
"We've got an order in for 100 more light rail cars for the new light rail lines," said METRO board member Christof Spieler. "So we're looking at fitting bike racks on those new cars and fitting racks on existing cars."
Bike Houston is also working with METRO on adding bicycle racks at rail platforms.
- Drug agents: 'Unfit for human consumption' 5 min ago
- Man fatally shot while driving in SW Houston
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Suspected molester to cops: 'I need help' 7 min ago
- Cocaine, cash found in abandoned chase suspect's car
- Vendor fired, took snow cones into bathroom
- Burglars break in through roof of Walgreen's store
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets burgers for life
- Youngest Oklahoma tornado victims remembered by kin
- otrc: 'Bachelor' Sean Lowe making wedding plans
- abcnews: 5 Biggest food and exercise mistakes
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone