SPCA gains possession of 1,000 neglected animals
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A judge has awarded possession of 1,077 animals rescued from a home in east Harris County to the Houston Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.Justice of the Peace Armando Rodriguez found that the animals had been cruelly treated and ordered Juan and Berta Gracia, the owners of the animals, to pay the HSPCA $18,166 for medical and housing costs incurred to date.
The judgment came after five days of evidence and testimony that began on July 23.
Linda S. Geffin, Chief of the Special Prosecutions Unit of Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan's office, represented the State in the proceedings. The Gracias invoked their Fifth Amendment right to refuse to give testimony that might incriminate them and did not testify at the hearing.
"These animals were rescued from deplorable, horrific conditions, and many lacked proper food and shelter as required by law," Geffin said. "The Gracias' attorney said they treated these animals like their children. However, the animals did not have adequate medical care, food, shelter, or water."
Evidence from the hearing showed that the cages that housed the animals were lined with waste, spider webs and old food. Hundreds of animals were without water and food. Some of the animals were dead or close to dying.
Geffin said that the County Attorney's investigation found the Gracias were likely breeding the animals for sale at flea markets.
County Attorney Vince Ryan said, "This case represents our office's continuing commitment to the protection of animals from abuse and neglect."
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Black Friday shoppers' credit card info at risk
- Girl, 10, found safely after overnight search
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Firefighters battle blaze at Katy Taco Bell 11 min ago
- Police: Multiple casualties following London theater collapse 17 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 18 min ago
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death 4 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Man found reading Bible after chase in NW Harris Co.
- METRO bus involved in accident near Reliant Park
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos