Sheriff, commissioner take sides over jail budget
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- With serious overcrowding in the Harris County Jail, Sheriff Adrian Garcia's claim that the jail is grossly understaffed is being met with skepticism.Sheriff Garcia says a recent manpower analysis showed detention operations within Harris County were short by 350 people. The Harris County Commissioner isn't so sure hiring more personnel is the answer. "We've given the sheriff a tremendous amount of flexibility as far as outsourcing some of those inmates to other Texas counties and to the state of Louisiana," said Commissioner Steve Radack. While Texas counties are getting most of the overflow business, Radack believes it's much cheaper to send these inmates out of state. "Frankly, if they go to Louisiana, it is cheaper than what it costs is to house them in our own jail," Radack said. A Harris County Sheriff's Office spokesperson tells Eyewitness News that the rates in Louisiana fluctuate on a daily basis. "Right now, Louisiana generally charges about $28 a day for a bed. In Harris County, it costs us $42 a day per inmate," said spokesperson Christina Garza. She says the problem is each jail has its own set of rules as to what types of inmates it will take. "They're allowed to use their own discretion. That's why we have to shop around for jail space," Garza said. Sheriff Garcia has decided to send fewer inmates to Louisiana. There are anywhere between 550 to 600 Harris County inmates housed in Louisiana jails each year compared to the 750 housed in other Texas counties. The sheriff will be meeting with Harris County commissioners next month for a midyear budget review and will make staffing recommendations. Watch Eyewitness News this afternoon for a full report.
(Copyright ©2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
adrian garcia, local, andy cerota
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Tax break weekend in Texas for Energy Star items
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- 13 Things to Know for Friday
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- Amanda Bynes arrested over bong
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos