Prominent doctor charged with assaulting his wife
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A prominent Houston doctor has turned himself in to authorities to face a felony charge of assault on a family member.Dr. Michael Brown, 53, arrived at court Tuesday morning to face a judge. Brown is accused of injuring his wife, Rachel Brown, by twisting her arm forcefully behind her back as if attempting to break it during a domestic dispute revolving around his drinking on August 13.
According to court documents, Brown was convicted of aggravated assault against a family member on January 30, 2002 in Montgomery County. He received deferred adjudication for the assault against Darlina Brown, which took place on January 24, 2001.
Brown lost his medical license in 2006 when he tested for positive for cocaine while on probation.Prosecutors told the judge they believed Brown could be a flight risk, because he has a private jet. They asked for a $50,000 bond, but the judge set Brown's bond at $40,000.
Brown will surrender his passport and is not allowed within 1,000 feet of his wife, kids or the house. He will also have to wear a GPS tracking device.
Brown admitted that he had a drinking problem. The judge denied his request to seek in-patient treatment in California, saying Brown could get treatment here in Houston.
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows 59 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game 6 min ago
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title 6 min ago
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years 5 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer