Prominent doctor charged with assaulting his wife
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A prominent Houston doctor has turned himself in to authorities to face a felony charge of assault on a family member.Dr. Michael Brown, 53, arrived at court Tuesday morning to face a judge. Brown is accused of injuring his wife, Rachel Brown, by twisting her arm forcefully behind her back as if attempting to break it during a domestic dispute revolving around his drinking on August 13.
According to court documents, Brown was convicted of aggravated assault against a family member on January 30, 2002 in Montgomery County. He received deferred adjudication for the assault against Darlina Brown, which took place on January 24, 2001.
Brown lost his medical license in 2006 when he tested for positive for cocaine while on probation.Prosecutors told the judge they believed Brown could be a flight risk, because he has a private jet. They asked for a $50,000 bond, but the judge set Brown's bond at $40,000.
Brown will surrender his passport and is not allowed within 1,000 feet of his wife, kids or the house. He will also have to wear a GPS tracking device.
Brown admitted that he had a drinking problem. The judge denied his request to seek in-patient treatment in California, saying Brown could get treatment here in Houston.
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 1 min ago
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 26 min ago
- One killed in head on collision with dump truck
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from hotel
- Police: Rapper incited riot at SXSW 12 min ago
- Teen arrested after allegedly racing illegally
- Kevin Spacey fires back at Rob Ford 11 min ago
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million