City of Pasadena wants to change trash pickup
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A move by the city of Pasadena to save money has some people concerned about changes to their trash pickup.The city wants to change the way it picks up garbage. Currently, residents load their trash in recyclable paper bags picked up twice a week. Under the proposed plan, residents would be given 96-gallon plastic containers with trash pickup only once a week. Officials believe the changes would save the city about $3 million a year, however, some residents are concerned the new containers would be tough for elderly people to handle. Others also worry about trash piling up with just one pick up a week. "I'm just worried that we'll have so much trash sitting around because people put trash out when it's not even trash day, " said 73-year-old Jill Landis Stafford. "I'm concerned about the elderly pushing those big, huge containers." Right now, the city council is being asked to approve a pilot program which would test the new containers for six months for about 5,000 residents on the city's north side. The city says it will offset a budget shortfall. "We'd probably save about $3 million a year. That's a lot," said Richard Scott of the City of Pasadena. A public hearing is being held Tuesday at Pasadena City Council where residents can voice their opinions about the proposal. The meeting begins at 7:30pm. You can read more about the trash changes in The Pasadena Citizen, one of our Houston Community Newspaper partners.
(Copyright ©2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
pasadena, local, gene apodaca
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa 13 min ago
- Three Webster officers indicted for official oppression 12 min ago
- How using free Wi-Fi can really cost you 50 min ago
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- Video: Treating asthma by burning the lungs
- Do you know this week's StopHoustonGangs.org fugitive?
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty