Missing 13-year-old boy found safe
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There are questions about why a mentally unstable teen was picked up by a deputy constable and dropped off alone in downtown Houston. The teen spent four days alone before he was found Thursday afternoon.Sherri Miller is overjoyed to have her 13-year-old son, Kenneth, back in her arms, but she is still fuming over how her son was handled by a Precinct 6 deputy constable.
"I'm angry to the point of numb, and I don't know what to do," she said.
The bus dropped him off at a corner near his home. He was suppose to walk home, like he's always done, but this time, he never made it.
Tuesday night, Deputy Derrick Jarradi picked up Kenneth at the Kroger on Cullen Street. Hours later, Deputy Jarradi dropped Kenneth of at the corner of Congress and St. Emanual, not to Ben Taub Hospital, as he was instructed by Child Protective Services.
A witness had spotted Kenneth near the University of Houston-Downtown law center Thursday afternoon. That witness contacted authorities, who then picked Kenneth up.
Constable Victor Trevino says his deputy knows he made a mistake.
"He's very devastated," said Trevino. "He wanted to turn in his resignation."
"Did you accept?" we asked.
"No, I did not accept his resignation," he asnswered.
Kenneth ended up wandering the streets of Houston for two more days until Thursday afternoon
"I didn't sleep at night," he said. "I just kept walking."
As the investigation is ongoing, Constable Trevino admits changes need to be made
"Very smart young man, very special," he said. "I agree with Mrs. Miller. There's a lot of room for improvement."
Kenneth was found Thursday wearing exactly what he had on when he got off the school bus Monday afternoon.
local, miya shay
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 3 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary 43 min ago
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Which food trucks had violations?
47 min ago