HPD offers tips for shoppers during holiday season
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One of the busiest shopping days of the year is almost here, which is why it's the time of year to pay close attention to what you leave in your car while you're making all those purchasesHPD is reminding everyone to lock their doors, pull up your windows all the way and get everything out of sight, especially when you are at a mall or shopping center. Police say ever year, they see property crimes like thefts spike during the holidays. They say it doesn't even matter what you leave in plain sight. Criminals may see spare change and they may go after it.
While you may have a lot of things going on, police say you really need to take a moment and protect yourself against thieves.
"Perhaps people again are so busy they leave valuables in plain viewing sight, like laptops, GPS systems, packages where they have been out shopping at various malls and shopping centers," said Captain Robert Manzo with the Houston Police Department.
If you try to hide items in your trunk, police say try being discreet about it.
holiday, houston police department, local, sonia azad
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time?
- Thieves get away with $100,000 in loot
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Sergio Garcia apologizes to Tiger Woods about comment
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Doctor wants tougher laws on dog maulings
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- Texas AG sues to get Galveston Co. judge off bench
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone