Lockdown at Waltrip HS lifted after suspect search
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A lockdown at Waltrip High School in northwest Houston was lifted after police searched the campus for a robbery suspect.Shortly before 1pm, two suspects robbed Sunbelt Jewelry and Loan on Ella at W. 34th Street. One employee was shot at the shop and taken to Ben Taub Hospital. There's no word on the person's condition at this time.
One suspect, described as wearing a brown hoodie, ran from the location and in the direction of nearby Waltrip HS. A police perimeter was set up around the school and the campus was placed on lockdown.Shortly after the lockdown was lifted, three people at a second pawn shop at Ella near the North Loop were robbed, so police set up a perimeter inside the school to search through it again.
The suspect in the second robbery is described as a Hispanic male in his early 20's dressed in a black pin-striped suit with black pants and a red shirt and is driving a brown Nissa Maxima with paper plates. The suspects in the first robbery were described as black males. It wasn't immediately clear whether the two incidents are related.
HISD officials say classes had let out for the day, but about 100 students were on campus for after school activities. No students have been injured.
Stay with ABC13 Eyewitness News for the latest on this developing story.
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH 38 min ago
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- No more ice, but cold weather continues
- Houstonians to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Suspect in 3 deaths lets baby go, kills self 46 min ago
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath 59 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Photos: North Texas covered in ice and snow