Six people shot, two fatally, at Stafford bar
STAFFORD, TX (KTRK) -- Six people were shot -- two fatally -- after a fight at a bar in Stafford early this morning. The suspected shooter is on the loose and police are working to track him down.Family members of the victims say they were out having a good time. That's when a fight broke out and the shooting started.
The attack was at the Stafford Ice House off South Main and FM 1092. It was around 2am when Stafford police got the 911 call.
"I feel bad. It's very sad," said business owner Isa Abdul. "Unbelievable what I saw this morning."
Gunfire and chaos broke out at closing time.
"He put a gun to someone's head and they tried to get it away from him and he backed up and started shooting," said Abdul.
Investigators say several relatives were at the bar following a 50th birthday party. There had been a disagreement earlier in the evening between two groups of people. Some of the customers left, but then came back and the fight continued.
"It turns out the disturbance started on the inside and spilled out into the parking lot," said Sgt. James Leedom with the Stafford Police Department.
Six people were shot. Two died at the scene.
"Some guy pulled out a gun and started shooting," said Minverva Benavides, whose 27-year-old nephew was killed in the shooting.
Benavides' nephew had been celebrating his father's birthday and was going to become a father himself in a couple of months.
"I really don't believe so, my nephew is not a fighter," she said. "I think he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time."
The other victim who died is a friend of her nephew.
"My nephew is laying there dead from a gunshot wound, and a friend of his is inside still dead also," said Benavides.
Relatives believe the victims were innocent customers who got caught in the violence. Those who frequent the neighborhood bar say they've never seen anything like it.
"I go there every day almost, take cars, bring customers and they are all good people," said Abdul.
The other four people who were shot remain at Memorial Hermann. There's no word on their conditions or relation to deceased victims. Investigators aren't releasing much information on the suspect at this time. They say they have not recovered the gun, which they believe was a handgun and there is a chance the suspect was injured in the earlier fight or shooting.
If you know anything about this crime, you're asked to call Ft. Bend County Crime Stoppers at 281-342-TIPS.
stafford, local, christine dobbyn
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home